Sunday, November 2, 2008

For all the Saints

Yesterday was Nov. 1st, a day that to some is celebrated as All Saints Day. This is a day to remember the saints in our lives, those who are still with us, and those who have gone before. Saints are those wonderful people who have supported us, given us hope, helped us during tough times. They have been role models who loved us unconditionally. In our religious traditions, they are people of faith who have done amazing acts of kindness and compassion. Their strong faiths guided their daily decisions.

So I want to thank some of the saints in my life. I am very grateful for my ancestors, most of whom were long gone before I was born. Many of our ancestors experienced unbelievable hardships and challenges to make it through life. They had none of the comforts and conveniences that we have today. From dawn until sunset, they worked hard to maintain a life, and raise their children. Many of my ancestors were people of faith who believed God would provide for them and reward them with abundance. Their courage and persistence carried them through and cleared a path for me, for us.

I am also very grateful for the saints in my life today. I am blessed with family members and friends who are examples to me today. Even though I am a mid-life woman, I continue to learn, especially from the wisdom shared by others.

We have landed where we are today because of the many who have passed before us. We rest on their shoulders. And our children and grandchildren and the children of the future will be supported on ours. What are we doing to pass on a world of faith, hope, and love to the today's children? What is our legacy? What will we leave for them?

No comments: