Friday, November 20, 2009

A Season of Gratitude

It's easy to write about gratitude, but often hard to remember these things in the moment. We can get so wrapped up in the busy-ness of right now. Or get tangled in resentments or regrets. Believe me - I could make my list!! But just for now, with a few moments for reflection, I'm going to share a few gratitudes and hope that you will too.

  • I am grateful for family. They are the people we have been given, not the ones we have chosen. Though it isn't always easy, it is so much more satisfying to love and accept them than to fight... or to wish they were more understanding. And besides, we don't really have control over them, only our own feelings and reactions.
  • My three sons are now grown. They have each weathered some tough times and gained skills to navigate in unfamiliar or scary territory. May their paths continue to open for them.
  • Even though times are financially very tough for many, there are also many wonderful stories of generosity and kindness. On the whole, Americans are very generous people.
  • Opportunities to learn are everywhere. We can learn from children. We can learn from the next person in line or a driver who shares the busy road with us. If we are open, lessons come in many forms.
  • I am blessed with good friends, people I have chosen because of similar experiences or interests. People who share my values and beliefs. What would we do without them? We might be very isolated and lonely. It is sometimes hard to reach out, but is often very rewarding.
  • Children are a constant source of joy and surprises. There they are, smile on their faces, open and ready for the next new experience. Give a hug. Read a book. Push a child on the swing. Smile back.

There are so many things to be grateful for. I would love to hear from you about what you are thankful for. Blessings for the season.... and for every day!

No comments: