Saturday, June 14, 2008

Into the wild

I'm leaving tomorrow for 5 days in Tuolumne Meadows in the high country of Yosemite National Park. When I was a kid, our family went camping at least once during most summers. I loved it then, the hiking, and playing in streams, and campfires and the STARS! Oh those stars! I loved sleeping right out under them, so if I woke up in the night, they were right there. When our own kids were little, we did lots of camping, too. Until our youngest started to complain. He was never an outdoors kind of guy. Where did he come from?

Many kids today are raised indoors. T.V. and computers are their friends and the source of information about wildlife. They might even be surprised when they have an outdoor experience of the real thing. Summer is a good time to get out and explore, even if just checking for bugs under a rock at the local park.

I love hiking, watching the birds, seeing deer grazing just feet away from the path, putting my feet into an icy stream, and the Stars! So, I am off to commune with nature.

I hope you have a chance to get away and explore a corner of this beautiful planet.

No comments: