Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Lost and Found

I found my favorite earring today. It was lost for 24 hours. I had a tiny remnant of a dream that night where I was fooling with it, and sure enough, it was down in the bedding. Even though I checked there yesterday and didn’t find it, today I did.

The earring is a sterling silver feather, given to me a few years back by Al. It represents birds and birding, which I enjoy. And it also symbolizes the image of flying, soaring above it all. Going where our heart leads us. I guess we care about the things we care about. I looked all over yesterday, feeling pretty sure it was someplace in the house. When I couldn’t find it, I grieved its loss and let it go, putting on my next favorite earrings. Acknowledging loss and letting go is rarely this easy.

My children are certainly my favorite beings in all the world. There are many things they have said and done over the years that are stamped on my memory. And there have been losses along the way, too. As they have grown, I have watched their childhoods fall behind. Many more losses ahead... and much left to be found.

No comments: