Monday, April 14, 2008

Finding enjoyment in the little things

In this very mobile world, when many find themselves separated from loved ones and extended family members by many miles, I was very lucky to grow up in the same community as several of my cousins who were close to my age.  I have very fond memories of the times we spent together, spending the night at each others houses and at larger family events. Though I have lost touch with many of my friends from childhood, I am thankful to still be connected with family.  I know, not everyone can even say this.

My cousin Judy Martin is a quilter and has written many books. You can find her at http://www.judymartin.com/. She also sends out a bi-monthly newsletter to her adoring quilting fans. I love to keep up with her by reading this, even though we only communicate directly several times a year. In this morning's newsletter, she said,

"It’s finding enjoyment in the little things that is the key to happiness. If we wait for extraordinary things to happen, we’ll spend a lot of time in between just going through the motions."

How many little things can we find today that bring us moments of joy and pleasure? Already, I have enjoyed my leisure pace. Our taxes got mailed!! I had a lovely morning walk in cool weather. There was a hot air balloon in the sky. I appreciated a conversation with my son. I hugged my husband and enjoyed his smile.

Yes, there are many little things. And kids are so good at finding these. Let them be your teachers today and show you the path to play.

No comments: