Tuesday, April 24, 2007

You are valuable!

You are so valuable! How often do you remember this? We often get caught up in doing for others and responding to all of those things that keep calling out to us. How often do we really acknowledge that we are important. We deserve love and care, too.

Like everyone else, I can get stressed out. I can honestly say that each time I reacted to my kids’ behaviors with yelling and impatience, that wasn’t about them. It was about me. This was an impulsive response fed by my own frustrations. My kids didn’t deserve that. Yes, sometimes their behavior was out of control, too. But what did I teach in that moment? My own behavior was saying it’s okay to yell, and it’s not.

The best “time out” is the one we take ourselves. This doesn’t have to take long. It can just be a moment to take a deep breath. Hey, take one now. Breathe in and feel your body slow down. Feel a different energy flow over you.

Kids depend upon us. They need us to understand them. They are not out to get us. In fact, they absolutely prefer positive energy coming their way from us. And to understand them, we need to take care of the little one in us, too. Yelling at ourselves doesn’t help us either.

Breathe! Take care of you. The kids in our lives are counting on us. Their healthy development is enriched by our loving presence.

No comments: